Friday, June 19, 2015

Sweet Yams and Mashed Potatoes

When I was a child, I thought yams and sweet potatoes were two different things.
And then I learned they were the same.
And then I learned they were different.

Moral of the story: Seek and ye shall find. Look it up for yourself, even when you aren't that curious. Misinformation is everywhere.

Saying the two vegetables are the same is another example of cultural appropriation, where White people tell you that's just what dem Africans call it. Conversely, Africans will tell you they are most assuredly different vegetables.

It's like comparing a purple cabbage (yum) to bok choy.

Because US sweet potatoes are sometimes incorrectly called yams, some big-headed "experts" took it upon themselves to basically say yams don't exist. Cougar, puma, moun'in lion.

And that concludes this random bit of micro fiction from a page in my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment